Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lost and Found


This is a picture of the lost and found at Good Shepherd. Any thing look vaguely familiar? There's lots of good stuff. If you're fond of coffee, there are mugs aplenty. There are a couple of Bibles. I'm guessing the owners, upon noticing they were missing their Bible immediately went to the church bookstore and bought one of those nice leather bound ones we've had in the store for the last year (hint.) Or possibly they just started using www.youversion.com app on their smart phone. There are pacifiers, blankets and children's clothing. There's a camera tripod, an Easter basket, and a Gus's Pretzels stocking cap (Kim?). There's a Cabellas XL winter jacket that I'm eyeing and I've grown rather fond of that lizard.

I really don't like the feeling I get when I've lost something. The other day I was walking back to church from Subway when I found $40 on the sidewalk. I walked into all the adjacent stores to ask if anyone had lost any cash. No one reported anything missing, so I kept it. I can only imagine the feeling the person had when they went into their pocket and it was gone. Actually, I know that feeling because when I was in an airport in Asheville, NC I went into my pocket for the $11 I knew was there and it was gone. (On the lost and found cash register of life I'm only up $29 now.)

When you've lost something of value you take time to diligently search for it, right? Here's something that should never pass us by... That feeling you get when you've lost something is the feeling God gets when you and I have gotten lost from the path of life which leads us back to Him. God is searching for you. Sending out search parties. And once found, God invites you to join in searching for others who have lost their way. When you count up the pluses and minuses of friends who are lost and found on God's path, are you up... or down? Help a friend find their way back onto the path.

No comments:

Dave is the Lead Pastor at...
New McKendree United Methodist Church
225 S. High St., Jackson, MO 63755
Saturday Worship 5:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am at High St. Campus 11:00 am at South Campus (1775 S. Hope St.)