Sunday, April 22, 2012

That Yellow Car

  "Sacrifice means to give up something you love for something you love even more." (Rev. Craig Groeschel)
I used that quote in my sermon today and it resonated with a lot of people.  Sacrifice is a part of the Christian faith and it runs so counter to our culture.  We all seem to be tuned into the radio station WIFM (What's In it For Me?)  Included in that attitude is our desire to get ahead. (This post is related to my rant on competition from a few weeks ago.)  If you don't believe that we have a natural, or even unnatural, drive to get ahead go to Wal-mart early in the morning on Black Friday or really any other day.  We fight for parking, fight for product and fight for our place in line to check out.
  It's not only at Wal-Mart.  At my last church you didn't want to be in the parking lot during the week when the pre-school parents were picking up and dropping off their kids.  It was simply a dangerous place to be.  My office is now about a block and a half from the High School.  Don't try to leave the office at 3:05 pm, it's just not wise.  We drive like it's a race for first every day.
  Jesus told us that the first would be last and the last, first.  He also said, Whoever wants to be first among you must be a slave to all.  Paul encourages us to honor one another above self, to serve one another humbly in love, and to encourage one another as we humbly build each other up.  This runs so contrary to what we've been taught through our culture.
  As I arrived at High Street for worship today I watched as an elderly member of our congregation searched for a close parking spot.  I know her well enough to know that she would have difficulty walking a long way.  Most of the close up spots were taken by those who had arrived earlier.  South Campus was similar except for a yellow car.
   I am proud of the fact that I'm relatively healthy.  I recognize that I can walk along way without growing weary.  It's a small thing, but I seek the farthest parking spot from the doors of the church. (On Easter I parked across the street at South Elementary School.) I do that to allow those who are visiting and those who are less healthy to park closer.  For the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to take the far spot from the door in the gravel lot at South because someone in a little yellow car beat me to it.  Thanks to the owner for being last on purpose.

No comments:

Dave is the Lead Pastor at...
New McKendree United Methodist Church
225 S. High St., Jackson, MO 63755
Saturday Worship 5:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am at High St. Campus 11:00 am at South Campus (1775 S. Hope St.)