Saturday, May 26, 2012

Eatin' Out: El Puerta, Jackson, MO

I thought I would try my hand at being a food critic.  I've watched enough of the food and cooking channel that I feel qualified.  Afterall, how much Restaurant Impossible and Iron Chef do you need before you call yourself an expert?  I think I'm there.  So here I go:

Restaurant: El Puerto, Jackson St., Jackson, MO.
This is a newer restaurant in town.  Open for only a couple of weeks.
Overall it was a positive experience and I'd recommend trying it out and adding your comments below.
Outside appearance: (C) A little hard to find. The sign out front is clear enough on where to turn, but the restaurant sits behind the Chinese Buffet making it a little difficult.
Arrival: (A) The hostess was right at the door with a friendly greeting.  She offered us our choice of booth or table. We asked to sit somewhere that we could view the Cardinals game.  She sat us at a booth and changed the channel on the big screen to suit us.
Ordering: (B+) I inquired of the specials.  The hostess didn't know what it was.  She did however offer her recommendation.
Wait staff:  (A) Our drinks were never past half full before they were refilled.  The chips were refilled when we managed to empty the basket.
Food: (B)  The complementary chips and salsa were ok.  Chips were hot when served.  Salsa was watery, probably out of a jar, and mild to my taste and Nancy agreed.
 I had the Molcajete (Sp?). This is a large, steaming hot bowl filled with onions, peppers, cactus, green onions, and topped with strips of cheese and slices of avocado.  The sauce was tasty. Good spice and not heavy on the salt.  The choice was chicken or steak.  I chose the combination of both. It was served with three flour tortillas, which was plenty for me, though the server twice offered more. The presentation was beautiful (this pic is after I had already dug in.)  Overall it was very tasty.  My concerns would be that the cactus was mushy and the steak (carne asada style) was a bit overcooked.  Good flavor though.
Nancy had the Chimichanga.  She will usually eat half and save half for another meal.  This serving was far too small to take any home.  She had an ample serving of refried beans and rice.  I tried the beans and found them to be a bit bland.  I would have had to add some hot sauce were I to eat it.  She enjoyed the dish.

Overall (A-)  Spent $28 including 20% tip.

1 comment:

Home Bistro Coupons said...

I've been to that restaurant and I have to say that the food there is divine.

Dave is the Lead Pastor at...
New McKendree United Methodist Church
225 S. High St., Jackson, MO 63755
Saturday Worship 5:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am at High St. Campus 11:00 am at South Campus (1775 S. Hope St.)