Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Mentor and the Student

Several people have asked me for the story I shared last week about the student and the mentor so I'm posting it here:

Two pilgrims are on a journey to obtain knowledge from the wisest people in the land. One pilgrim is the teacher and one the apprentice. On this journey they are intentional about stopping at the homes of the wisest person of each village. When they arrive at a village they inquire of many people as to who in their town is considered the wisest. They will then seek an audience with this possessor of wisdom in order to gain a greater insight into the things of this world.

They came upon one town, larger than most they had encountered, which claimed to have the wisest of all persons. Everyone they inquired had a similar response, "I hear that the hermit on the hill over looking the town is wise beyond any one's understanding." Intrigued by this response the teacher began to ask, "Have you made the journey in search of the hermit's wisdom." With each inquiry came a simple "No."

Early the next morning the teacher and the apprentice started out for the hilltop to visit the wise hermit. When they reached the top they found the hermit and introduced themselves. Honorable Hermit, we are simply wanderers in search of wisdom. We come to you seeking to deepen our knowledge of the world. Would you please share with us some of the wisdom you have gained.

The hermit simply looked at them and grunted. Then, offering them a place to sit and a cup of tea responded. My wisdom is simply too much for you to understand. Your minds will not be able to comprehend the depth of my knowledge nor the width of it's application. I regret that you made this trip because it has been a journey of folly for you.

The apprentice began to argue about the amount they had learned thus far. He proceeded to defend his credentials and those of his teacher. The teacher simply rose, bowed to the hermit and left; the apprentice hustling to catch up.

As with all their encounters, when leaving a village, the teacher asked the student what he had learned. As they traveled the student shared his indignance at their dismissal by the hermit. How could he be so arrogant as to believe they could not comprehend what he might share. Quite honestly he had learned nothing. “Quite to the contrary” said the teacher, “I have learned the wisest lesson of my life and I ask that you help me to live out this lesson. If there is anything I have failed to teach you, please ask me. What I have learned is “Wisdom unshared is equal in ignorance to knowledge unsought.”

(Note: this story is of my own making as is the "moral" to the story. Feel free to use it, change it, improve upon it.)

1 comment:

Mike Alberts said...

Dave - I love this story and have shared it several times since Jessica and I visited GS in Feb. As SS Superintendent and lay speaker at Arch, your message that day, along with this story, really hit home! May God continue to bless your ministry at GS.

Dave is the Lead Pastor at...
New McKendree United Methodist Church
225 S. High St., Jackson, MO 63755
Saturday Worship 5:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am at High St. Campus 11:00 am at South Campus (1775 S. Hope St.)