Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stickers, Gold Stars, and Merit Badges


Recently a church member posted this on facebook:

Erin is a big girl! Has gotten five potty stickers already today and four of them came from her saying she needed to go!

Another friend commented in response that it was the best thing her mother ever taught her. (Potty Training). She uses it daily. I laughed out loud on that one. I remember getting gold stars for things I did well, though I honestly can't remember potty training. But there were papers at school and chores at home that won me a gold star or two.

As I grew older I found that my achievements had a more formal approach. In school there were grades and in the Boy Scouts there were merit badges. In my work life there have been promotions and merit pay increases that have acted as incentives.

What about everyday life? Wouldn't it be great if you got a gold star for the things you did in everyday life? What would you reward others for? Showing up to work.... Gold Star. Fixing breakfast, lunch or supper.... Gold Star. Completing assignments on time.... Gold Star. What are the other Gold Stars you would award?

Perhaps we should look to the Beatitudes for a hint of the Gold Stars Jesus hands out. (Matthew 5) If you're poor in spirit.... Gold Star. If you mourn.... Gold Star. If you are meek.... Gold Star. If you hunger and thirst for righteousness.... Gold Star. If you're merciful, pure in heart, a peacemaker, or persecuted for righteousness sake.... Gold Star.

Earned any Gold Stars lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weird part is it feels like just yesterday when I was saying that!!!

Dave is the Lead Pastor at...
New McKendree United Methodist Church
225 S. High St., Jackson, MO 63755
Saturday Worship 5:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am at High St. Campus 11:00 am at South Campus (1775 S. Hope St.)